Rights and Responsibilities
As a student with a disability attending Kennesaw State University, what services do I have the right to receive?
- Reasonable accommodations based on appropriate documentation.
- Equal access to an education.
- Equal and fair treatment.
- Confidentiality in all matters of your documentation and educational record.
As a student with a disability at Kennesaw State University, what are my responsibilities?
- Request academic accommodations in a timely manner relative to the semester that you plan to attend.
- Self Advocacy.
- Provide appropriate documentation of your disability.
- Meet privately with faculty to discern how your accommodations will be facilitated.
What rights do faculty members have?
- Request verification of eligibility for accommodations.
- Consult with Student Disability Services regarding student accommodations when appropriate.
- Expect students with disabilities to meet the same academic standards as their peers.
What responsibilities do faculty members have?
- Meet with students confidentially to discuss their disability related needs and accommodations.
- Provide classroom materials in an alternative format when documentation supports the request.
- Consult with Student Disability Services to develop appropriate accommodations.
University and Student Disability Services
What are the rights and responsibilities of the University?
- The university has certain rights and responsibilities as well. These rights are executed primarily through Student Disability Services and by members of the faculty.
What rights does Student Disability Services have?
- They can ask students to meet with staff members.
- Request appropriate documentation of a disability.
What responsibilities does Student Disability Services have in order to ensure that I receive equal and fair treatment at Kennesaw State University?
- Work with students in determining reasonable accommodations on a case-by-case basis.
- Teach advocacy skills to students.
- Act as a mediator and advocate for students when appropriate.
- Maintain the confidentiality of the student.
- Refer students to appropriate campus or community resources.